Welcome back! We are in Phase 5 at fully operational with health and safety guidelines in place.
Reopening the campus has aligned with the university’s guiding principles:
- Health and safety come first: Protect the well-being of our students, faculty, staff, and patients – and be there for our neighbors and local community.
- Decisions will advance our mission: Ensure the excellence and continuity of our educational programs, student activities, and research, while promoting access and equity.
We are currently in Phase 5. For the latest information, please see the Phase Guidelines (USC Single Sign On required for access).
The university will continue to work closely with public health authorities to ensure campus plans align with public health recommendations. Depending on public health guidance, we may need to pause or move back in the phases timeline based on actual conditions.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are currently in Phase 5 with full operations of all academics, research, and athletics without additional restrictions or guidelines.
Are you consulting with local public health authorities during the phased approach to the campus restart?
We are taking a carefully planned phased approach, which we designed in consultation with local health authorities, our own health care experts, and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines.
In addition, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health issued a set of protocols for higher education that covers policies and practices to protect employee health, maintain physical distancing, control the spread of infection, communicate with employees and the public, and ensure equitable access to critical services. We are working closely with L.A. County officials and will ensure that the university is fully compliant.
Our progress from one phase to another will not follow a calendar schedule. Instead, these decisions will be made based on conditions on and around campuses, the continued spread of COVID-19 in Los Angeles, and the need to adhere to federal, state, and local guidance.
Phase 5: Welcome Back
Fully operational with health and safety guidelines in place.
- Faculty and staff support fully in-person operations. The actual split between remote and in-person work will be determined and communicated by unit leadership based on restart guiding principles.
- All faculty, staff, and students must be fully vaccinated or have an approved medical or religious exemption.
- Students who are up to date on their vaccinations (fully vaccinated; and have received a booster if currently eligible) are no longer required to test weekly.
- Testing requirements for those who are unvaccinated because of an approved exemption (every 72 hours) and individuals not up to date on vaccinations (every 4 days) remain in effect. (Sunsetted. Requirement no longer in effect.)
Surveillance testing is highly recommended for all students, faculty, and staff (regardless of vaccination status) who will be physically present on campus. (Sunsetted. Surveillance testing program discontinued for campus, Spring 2022, with closure of Trojan Check entry perimeter.)
Safety training "Hygiene, Health and Safety" is available to employees via Trojan Learn. (Mandatory training sunsetted, with closure of Trojan Check entry perimeter.)
- On campus, indoor instruction resumes at full capacity.
- University housing reopens with normal occupancy with enhanced cleaning and public area closures.
- Approved libraries are open at full capacity.
- University dining venues are open at full capacity following the current County opening and occupancy guidelines. The bookstore is open at full capacity.
- Visitors to campus are permitted. Visitors will follow all public health guidance from the City and County of Los Angeles and abide by campus rules and signage.
- USC Athletics activities as approved, resume with approved risk mitigation plan. Athletic training facilities to support allowable USC Athletics workouts.
- Fitness centers reopen.
- COVID testing is available at no charge to faculty, staff, and students.
- USC retains flexibility to adapt its operations as conditions may require.
- See Event Planning Guidelines for Phase 5.