Public and private gatherings are now allowed on USC campuses and properties. Please review the Phase 5 Event Planning Guidelines before planning an event. All events and guests must abide by the Phase 5 policies, along with any USC campus access and masking policies.
Frequently Asked Questions – Events and Activities
What is defined as an event/gathering?
Any scheduled gathering of 25 or more people. Or any situation that involves external vendors (tent set up by rental company, catering, etc.)
- NCAA Athletics competitions, meets and games, commonly played in stadiums, fields or arenas, are not considered USC events though they are still beholden to other USC policies.
- Classes that are part of the university curriculum are not considered university events**
- Most meetings that support the academic or business mission are not considered university events. Some meetings may qualify as events**
- **See event permit question for further details.
What qualifies as a university-sponsored event?
Any event that is organized, sponsored or funded by the university, USC students, faculty, staff, schools, departments, units or a university sponsor would qualify. This includes events on USC’s campuses and buildings, and at all off-campus locations/facilities, whether owned by USC or a third party.
What events require an event permit?
All events & gatherings (see definition) must apply for a USC event permit and be approved prior to moving forward. USC Events Permit Application - https://eventspermit.usc.edu/
- All events will be evaluated, reviewed and approved by the USC Events Committee.
- All events will require the submission of a diagram and event timeline to be considered for permit approval 4 weeks prior to the scheduled event date.
- Events do not require a restart plan once a department/division plan has been approved.
Some meetings and classes may require permits:
- Meetings where no food or beverage is served are considered meetings and not gatherings or events, and do not require a permit, unless it meets specific criteria (see Appendix 1)
- Meetings where food is served to 25 or more people require a permit. Those with less than 25 people do not require a permit.
- Meetings that have snacks (limited food & beverages such as donuts, coffee, cookies or other simple snacks) do not require a permit.
- Classes that are part of the university curriculum do not require an event permit unless they have a visiting dignitary, celebrity, or guest of notoriety.
Can I set up an information table on campus?
Yes, tabling is allowed.
Who should I contact if I have event-related questions?
Please email email@example.com if you have any questions and/or concerns.
Are masks required for events?
In alignment with the revised Public Health Officer order, masking is no longer required at outdoor events. University-sponsored outdoor events of all sizes no longer require masking for attendees.
Beginning March 7, 2022, masking will no longer be required indoors in most locations on USC campuses. This includes classes, labs, offices, libraries, recreational facilities, dining facilities, and athletic facilities.
Local, state, and federal guidance requires continued masking in health care facilities (including patient care buildings and testing sites) and on public transportation (including USC shuttles). Masking may also be required in certain circumstances, like in the event of an outbreak on campus.
What outdoor spaces are available around University Park Campus?
Outdoor recreation spaces are available, and campus open spaces are available for events. Spaces must be reserved through Outdoor Scheduling, and event permits must be requested and approved.
Are indoor spaces available at the University Park Campus?
Yes, indoor spaces are available for events. Spaces must be reserved, and an event permit must be requested and approved for all events.
What outdoor and indoor spaces are available around the Health Sciences Campus?
Indoor and outdoor spaces are available for events. Spaces must be reserved, and an event permit must be requested and approved for all events.
How do I make a reservation for an outdoor recreation venue?
Visit and log into myrecsports.usc.edu using your USC NetID credentials. Detailed instructions on how to use the system are here. You will receive an email confirmation for your reservation.