In administering the vaccines, USC is following the recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), and the Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Health (LADPH) for phased distribution of the vaccine.
The pace of moving from Phase 1A to subsequent phases — from scarcity to broad availability — will occur in 2021. The complete timeframe and pace of vaccine distribution is not yet known, and is dependent on availability of vaccines through state and county distribution.
Phase 1A (current phase)
Frontline Healthcare Workforce
Currently, USC is vaccinating frontline healthcare workers and personnel in the healthcare environment, at Keck Hospital, Verdugo Hills Hospital, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center, and other clinical facilities. This includes faculty, staff, students, residents, and fellows in the health professions. This phase also includes residents and employees at long-term care facilities (nursing homes).
- Health care workers
- Skilled nursing facility health care workers and residents
- EMTs and paramedics
- Long-term care facility health care workers and residents
- Special needs group living health care staff
- Dialysis and infusion centers
- Laboratory workers
- Dental and oral health clinic health care workers
- Pharmacy staff
- COVID-19 testing staff
Frontline Essential Workers
This prioritization group includes essential workers who must be on-site to perform their jobs. Phase 1B also includes individuals ages 75* and over.
* During the week of January 12, 2021, the Health and Human Services Secretary called for states to include individuals over the age of 65 and those with underlying medical conditions to be included in current vaccine distribution. CDC guidelines currently reflect the original prioritization. On January 13, the CA Dept. of Public Health revised vaccination guidelines to reflect the change in age threshold to age 65; this may be implemented in counties depending on local health authorities and their respective conditions and vaccine supply. The Los Angeles County Dept. of Public Health announced On Jan. 19 that residents 65+ are eligible to be vaccinated starting Wednesday, January 20th. Book your appointments by visiting http://VaccinateLACounty.com. For additional assistance, call 833-540-0473 between 8:00 am and 8:30 pm.
USC is following guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LADPH) for phased distribution of the COVID-19 vaccine.
For more comprehensive information about the COVID-19 vaccine, please visit the Keck Medicine of USC Coronavirus Vaccine resource center.