To: All USC Staff
From: Susan Tincher, USC Associate CIO for Infrastructure Services
Date: May 14, 2020
Subject: Upgrade Now to Zoom 5.0
Dear USC Staff,
I hope this finds you well and safe. As we all persevere through this unique time at USC, enabling a successful remote work environment remains a top priority for ITS. We’re working day and night with our service providers to ensure their platforms meet your needs and requirements.
Over the past month, USC’s videoconferencing platform, Zoom, has been hard at work implementing enhanced security measures to help provide a safe, protected, inclusive, on-line environment for our students, faculty and staff. In support of this, Zoom has recently released Zoom 5.0 which includes stronger data encryption, centralized security controls, and other meeting safeguards.
What to Know
- Beginning May 30, all Zoom software must be upgraded to Zoom 5.0 in order to join meetings.
- To continue to use Zoom after May 30, you will need to upgrade both your desktop and mobile versions of Zoom.
- For full details on all the enhancements included in Zoom 5.0, please see the Zoom 5.0 web page.
What to Do
- Accept the automatic upgrade request from your Zoom software and install it on all desktop and mobile devices you use to connect to Zoom as soon as possible and prior to May 30.
- See keepworking.usc.edu for step-by-step instructions.
- You may also download the software from the Zoom Download Center.
In order to install this upgrade on Mac computers, you may need to log into the administrator account for your computer. If you encounter issues accessing the administrator account, please contact your local IT support for your school or unit.
If you encounter issues downloading or installing Zoom 5.0 on any of your devices,please contact the ITS Customer Support Center at 213-740-5555 or send an email to email@example.com.
Please let us know how we can help make this transition smoother and support you as we continue through this together.
Associate Chief Information Officer for Infrastructure Services, Information Technology Services (ITS)